Wednesday, July 28, 2010


Evening bloggies. I hope everyone had a good hump day.

I’m a day behind on blogging and I will probably only get one post in tonight as well. They’ve been very long days and I just don’t have the energy to write two posts.

Before I get started a couple of people asked about how my GPS knew about about the traffic problems in Montreal in yesterday’s post. Our GPS came with a FM receiver and when we’re in major cities it picks up traffic updates and plans routes accordingly. It’s actually a pretty cool feature. When we got the GPS last week we didn’t think the traffic feature would be that useful but so far the Garmin is proving us wrong.

Breakfast on Tuesday was from Tim Horton’s – a blueberry muffin and oj (un-pictured).

Day 3 started out with great intentions. We got up very early in order to get an early start. Unfortunately as soon as we got in the car we knew something was wrong with the brakes. We stopped at the closest repair shop – Speedy – and waited 3 hours to get new rear brakes. To add insult to injury, one of the callipers was seized and had to be replaced as well. We sat around for almost 3 hours waiting for everything to get fixed before we could hit the road.

This didn’t put us on the road until after 10 and we knew we had a 10 hour drive ahead of us on a very hot day. We planned ahead this time and bought some ice for the cooler so Charlie had a place to stay cool and be happy.

July 221

Since we were leaving from Ottawa and heading to Sault Ste. Marie we were driving through central Ontario. It was a long, painful and very hot day.

Around lunch time we were starving and had no idea where to stop. We found a small town – Pembroke and decided to stop at Subway for lunch. As we pulled into the Subway we saw a sign on the door that said, ‘Coming Soon’. SERIOUSLY!!! We didn’t have many options so Wendy’s it was.

I got a single hamburger with bacon.

 July 190

Fries – I only ate about a quarter of them.

July 188

And an ice-tea – what’s with medium drink? Mediums are not this big in Halifax!

July 189

Some point in the afternoon we stopped at Tim’s again and this time I grabbed and ice-capp with chocolate milk. I forgot to take a before shot so I figured an after shot would work as well :P

July 219

During this drive the majority of the highways were not divided and there were many people travelling very slow. We did encounter some beautiful scenery though.

Here are some of the pictures.

July 185

July 186 

July 195

July 200 

July 207 

July 218

July 202

After a very hot and sticky day we made it to Sault Ste. Marie. The days are becoming more painful (physically) so we decided not to stop for dinner and we went for the last 4 hours without stopping. We figured we’d grab something when we got to town.

Dinner was Subway! After the lack of subs for lunch we decided to grab some for dinner. I was starving by this point and decided to go with a footlong turkey with bacon.

July 223

July 225

I’m now sitting in the hotel room in Thunder Bay watching SYTYCD. We have another long drive tomorrow to Winnipeg.

Stay tuned for an update on the trip from Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay tomorrow.

~ Katie :)


Jaime said...

I hope you got to walk the boardwalk in SSM! I bet you ate from the same Subway I did. :)

If it makes you feel any better, I spent $1900 on my car the week before I left.

Jaime said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I think that Ontario is the hardest part of the journey because it seems to go on forever!