Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Reader’s Advice

Once you get through all my dinner eats I’d love some advice on some products that I listed at the end of my post.

So after last night’s post I had very good intentions of having a a great dinner and then hitting the gym but unfortunately that didn’t happen.

Matt didn’t finish doing my mom’s taxes until late so by the time they were done we were starving, at my mom’s and looking for supper. We ended up at Durty Nelly’s in downtown Halifax.

Since I was already breaking one of my May Goal’s already (no eating out) I decided I might as well eat something healthy. I chose the Veggie Wrap with taters. “Grilled Vegetable Wrap of zucchini, red onion, red pepper, tomato, mozza cheddar blend”. I got it with no red onion. I will say the wrap was just ok. It was cold and I was expecting it to be warm and the veggies we a little too mushy for my liking. But it was huge and I could only eat half the wrap and about 5 of the taters.

After dinner since we didn’t make it to the gym we decided to walk around downtown for a while. It was so beautiful out yesterday we just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to enjoy the weather and at least we got a little physical activity in, right?

After missing the gym yesterday Matt and I got our butts out of bed early this morning and made our way to the gym for an interval run. Walk/Run for 20 mins.

My running started out at 6.4 and I ended at 7.5. I was so sweaty by the end. I really felt great to get out and get that workout in even if it was short. I think we are going to do our intervals at the gym from now on. It is easier to control your speed and I think I push myself more there then outside.

Tonight there was no stopping me. We were eating healthy tonight. Ironically, tonight’s menu was gilled chicken and veggie wraps as well.

I adapted this recipe from Hungry Girl’s “Hungry Girl 1-2-3: The Easiest, Most Delicious, Guilt-Free Recipes on the Planet”. I made four wraps with the following ingredients (with lots of leftovers):

  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (not in her recipe)
  • 1 zucchini
  • 1 eggplant
  • 1 red pepper
  • 2 portabella mushroom caps
  • 6 tbsp greek yogurt (the recipe calls for regular greek yogurt)
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp of fresh grated garlic
  • 4 whole wheat tortillas

First cut all the veggies and chicken up (half’s maybe) so they can be grilled. Grilled on the BBQ for about 5 mins on each side (the chicken will have to be longer).

While that is grilling mix together the greek yogurt, basil and garlic.

May 001

When the veggies are done all you have to do is cut them up into strips so they can be put in a wrap.

May 004

We had the wraps with a salad. In the ss: organic spinach, carrots, peppers (red, yellow, green), baby tomatoes, cucumber.

May 002

Served with dried cranberries and lemon juice. The salad…

May 003

Wrap…

May 005

All together…

May 006

Overall, this dinner was really good and filling. I have never had portabella mushrooms before and didn’t really like the flavour of them. I ended up not eating them but overall, I really enjoyed dinner tonight.

Other odds and ends…

First - I’ve been sent some coupons (thanks Wendy) from Silver Hill’s Bakery to try and review their bread. I’ve been to Planet Organic several times in the past two weeks and every time I’m there they are out. I definitely want to try this bread and as soon as I pick some up I’ll let you all know.

Second - While looking around Planet Organic today I realized there are a lot of items that I would really like to try but I’m just not sure if it’s worth the money. So I’m looking for your help. Of the following products which do you think is worth the money and which do you think I should just pass on. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I’m wondering about the following products:

  • Almond butter (and if so – what brand?)
  • Coconut milk
  • Coconut oil
  • Goji Berries
  • Agave Nectar
  • Ezekiel bread
  • Hemp Seeds
  • Protein Powder (I actually would like to get some protein powder but I have no idea what brand – does anyone have any suggestion?)

Thanks guys. If anyone has any thoughts on the above listed products or even with another product that you love I’d love to hear about it.

~ Katie :)

6 comments:

Trudes said...

First, a tip about portobellos. If you decide to try them again, baste them with a little teeny bit of EVOO and garlic and befoere you serve them, baste again but with balsamic vinegar. It's a whole new experience. Then again, I love mushrooms.

Almond Butter - if you like almonds, then yes! I like the stuff in the jar with the simple lables but you can go cheaper and get PC brand @ Superstore. It is just almonds. I like it crunchy. Be prepared to stir as the oil floats to the top.

Coconut Milk - the only time I use it is in a curry recipe. If you have a recipe you want to try, then pick up some! I don't love it for anything else personally.

Coconut Oil - much touted as the cure-all for thyroid issues, its one saving grace is that it is good for cooking with at high heat. I don't find it any better than anything else, so I stick with EVOO.

Exekiel bread - I loooove it BUT it is very chewy and grainy. Not for the Dempsters-lovin' crowd. The raisin bread is good. Must be kept frozen, so you always end up eating it toasted.

Protein Powder - I've tried a few brands and my rec is to get whey poweder (a milk protein with out the caesin binding) rather than soy. Try vanilla first. Buy some single-serving packs if you can and play with it. I like it blended with a cup of frozen berries, a spear of pineapple, a cup of water, and some flax oil.

Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

mmm your veggie wrap looks tasty! :)


uummm Im not sure about brands of the items you have listed. I LOVE almond butter- so much that I had to give mine away and can not allow it back in my pantry. lol

I use coconut oil- as a body moisturizer!! :)

I like Ezekiel bread- the one with sesame seeds on the top- not sure what one that is. :)

Agave- not a huge fan.

Protein powder- I like the brand Metabolic Reset (vanilla flavor)

Goji- good mixed into homemade trail mix :)

Hope I helped! :)

Jaime said...

Almond Butter - def worth a try...if you like almonds and you like PB...then you'll probably like it. Maranatha is the most common around Hali.

Coconut Milk - I recently discovered it's good in smoothies! Buy the light version. :)

Coconut Oil - my coconut shrimp recipe ROCKS because of that stuff. Contact Tropical Traditions and see if they'll give you a sample for blogging.

Hemp Seeds - buy at Bulk Barn in small quantity to try them. High nutrional value and I love the texture.

Protein powder - I like chocolate because it kind of tastes like a malt. Find one that is low in sugar and calories, and high in actual protein (around 20grams per serving).

:)

Oh, and apparently Pete's is carrying the Silver Hills breads now too...I have had trouble getting it from PO too. Make sure you tell them that you are looking for it because I don't think they realize it's popular!!

SmallTownDi said...

Just wanted to let you know if you do decide to try some Almond Butter, Maranatha is available at Costco in a giant jar for the same price as a small jar everywhere else (6.99 I think). After you open it and stir like crazy, store it upside down in your fridge, it makes it easier to stir after that.

Also, I like the Ezekiel English muffins. They're much heartier/chewier than regular English muffins. They keep me satisfied longer. I haven't tried the bread though.

Hope this helps a bit!

Nicole said...

Hi Katie :)

I like almond butter - but not as much as peanut butter. I use it sometimes, it's worth it, but pb just is better haha. I buy Trader Joe's brand, so I don't know what kind you would get from that store.

Goji berries - i love these. I use them in my yogurt and trail mix. They add a nice crunch.

Agave - I use it as a sweetener in smoothies, sometimes in yogurt, smoothies etc.

Ezekial bread - I love ezekial bread. I eat it with salad, sandwiches. I also buy the english muffins and wraps.

Protein powder - I bought amazing grass protein powder. It's made of veges and greens. I don't use it too much but like to add it in granola bars and raw balls.

Hope I helped!!

Anonymous said...

I love almond butter, the best brand around is also local, made in windsor...Nutsmith. I've found it in the organic section at Sobey's. I didn't care for the maranatha brand.

Coconut milk, love it in soups, cook your rice in it with some ginger, lime zest and garlic....yum.