Friday, May 7, 2010

Healthy Chicken Parm

This morning I slept through the alarm. By the time I looked at the clock it said 6:05 and I need to leave for the gym at 6:00. Since that wasn’t an option anymore I re-set the alarm and went back to sleep for another hour. Gym this evening it is.

Tonight’s dinner was a healthy version of an old favourite… Chicken Parmesan

I adapted this recipe from Hungry Girl.

May 001 

Pan-Fried Chicken Parm

Ingredients: (I had to adapt a little too because I was cooking for three and the recipe was for two)

  • 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of fibre one bran cereal
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • 1 tsp basil
  • 1 tsp rosemary (the recipe called for italian seasoning but I didn’t have any so I used the last three spices instead)
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2/3 cup tomato sauce (I used ragu)
  • 1/2 cup liquid egg whites
  • 3/4 cup of shredded mozza

I had a ton of the mixture left over so you probably don’t need to add so much.

First crush the fibre one to breadcrumb consistency. I don’t have a food processor so this turned out to be difficult but I got creative and put it in a plastic bag and crushed it with a hammer – the husband loved that – hahaha. This is the second recipe in a week that has called for a food processor. I think it’s almost time to invest in one.

Then mix the fibre one with the oregano, rosemary, basil, onion powder and garlic powder.

May 002

The crushing didn’t turn out perfect but it did the trick. Then place the egg whites a separate bowl.

May 003

Dip the chicken in the egg whites then coat in the fibre one mixture and place in a non-stick pan with a little EVOO on medium heat.

May 004

The recipe called to cook the chicken on both sides for 5 mins. My chicken was really thick and would have taken a long time to cook in the pan that way so I ended cutting it up into pieces in order for it to cook faster.

May 005

Once cooked through, add the sauce and the cheese

May 006

Cover on low heat for 3-5 mins until the cheese is melted.

 May 007

I also made a salad to go with dinner. In the ss: organic spinach, red, yellow and green pepper, cucumber, carrots and baby tomatoes.

Served with lemon juice and dried cranberries.

May 008

All together…

May 009

The whole meal was less then 350 calories and tasted delicious. I will definitely be making this again.

After dinner I hit up the gym for a quick interval run. Running started at 6.4 and ended at 7.5. It was tough tonight. I could still feel supper in the belly and it made it very heavy. I pushed through and felt awesome when I was finished.

Question of the Day: What is your current favourite song to work out to? I’m really loving everything from Ke$ha right now – especially Your Love Is My Drug. I’m a little obsessed with that song right now.

Have a good night!

~ Katie :)

3 comments:

Nicole said...

I love Hungry Girl! and I love that you spell fiber different than us here in the US. :) My favorite songs to workout right now is to Glee. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm obsessed with Your Love is My Drug too!

Alison Fay said...

I've read this recipe before, but just plain didnt' believe it would taste goo - hehe. Good to know that it does! I use some toasted whole wheat bread to make bread crumbs to make my chicken parm, but I'll be trying this just to see how it turns out! :)