Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Short and Sweet

Since I forgot to take pictures yesterday of my food today’s blog post is going to be short and sweet.

Yesterday was my first day back subbing for the new year. Since I was still craving my snack from the previous night I had 1/2 a whole wheat English muffin with peanut butter and some powerhouse granola. I also had a glass of orange juice to go along with it.

I’m working hard right now to not drink too many calories (I love oj, milk and other forms of juice) but they are really high in calories and sugar plus I really need to work on getting enough water throughout the day. I do have one glass of milk every night with my dinner and I don’t think I’ll ever be able to give that up but if I focus on water in the morning and afternoon I think then that’s pretty good.

Anyways, I decided since my breakfast was pretty light but filled with protein and carbs I’d have a glass of oj to get some fruits in as well.

Teaching yesterday was pretty standard. Nothing too excited. My morning snack was a Kashi granola bar, lunch was leftover pasta along with a yogurt cup and my snack on the drive home were carrot sticks.

After blogging yesterday, I had a small bowl of greek yogurt sprinkled with more granola as my pre-workout snack. Afterwards, I headed to pick up Matt from work so we could head to the gym.

Yesterday was our first swimming day.

Confession time: Well not really a confession but what most of you might not know about it (not sure if I’ve mentioned it on the blog before or not) but I swam competitively for 8 years. From about 11 to 19. I actually did Synchronized Swimming during that time and in 1999 I went to the Canada Winter Games for Synchronized Swimming. I was also a lifeguard and swimming instructor (which is where I met my husband) for 6 years so growing up water was my life.

I haven’t been in the water doing any sort of physical activity for years now (I’ve taken my niece and nephew swimming but not swimming lengths or anything like that). I felt great to get back in the water again but I have completely forgotten how hard it is. I thought I’d be able to get in and swim for 20-30 mins no problem.

After the first couple of lengths I could feel my arms already getting sore. In total we swam for about 20 mins. It was a great workout and I’m really excited to introduce swimming back into my weekly routine.

After swimming I was having serious after swimming hunger - does anyone else ever get this? I was able to convince the hubby to pick up some Thai Express (I had Pad Thai with tofu) for dinner. I was really happy with eating for the past couple of days, we’ve had a great couple of workouts at the gym, I only ate about 1/2 a serving and I still tracked it in My Fitness Pal so I felt comfortable with the decision.

The rest of the evening was spend watching The Biggest Loser and then heading to bed early. Swimming wiped me out.

I’m off now, must get ready for the gym. Sorry for all the rambling, I guess that wasn’t so short and sweet. I’ll hopefully have some pictures to share tomorrow.

~ Katie :)