Monday, November 8, 2010

Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower

So I sent this to publish this morning but for some reason it didn’t so here it is (just a little late).

I figured since I’m off teaching middle school this morning I’d leaving you with a post I promised a few days ago.

On Wednesday night I made Tina’s Mac and Cheese with Cauliflower.

Since I didn’t have all the ingredients on hand I adapted it a little. You can check out her recipe here.

  • 1 box of whole wheat macaroni
  • 1 head of cauliflower
  • 1 cup of breadcrumbs
  • 3 tbsp of olive oil
  • 1/2 cup of parsley
  • 1 1/2 cups of cheddar cheese
  • 1 1/2 cups of ricotta
  • 1/2 cup of skim milk
  • Salt and pepper

November 018

Heat oven to 400.

Cook pasta according to directions and add chopped cauliflower for the last few mins.

Mix together bread crumbs, 2 tbsp of olive oil, parsley (and salt and pepper)

After pasta is drained mix together pasta, cauliflower, ricotta, cheddar and milk. Pour into casserole dish and top with bread crumb mixture.

Cook in oven for 15 mins (or until golden brown).

I served it with a slice of whole wheat bread with earth balance.

Tina says it made 6 servings for her but I got at least 7 or 8 out of mine.  It was huge and I ate it all week (and on the weekend for lunch).

November 019

**A few notes:

  • Next time I would like to try it with the sour cream – I didn’t have any on hand so I just used the ricotta I had in my fridge
  • Also next time I would take Tina’s suggestion and use extra sharp cheddar. I just used regular cheddar cheese and it really wasn’t as cheesy as I would have liked.
  • I’m not a big onion fan so I just skipped on those I don’t really think it made a difference.
  • Loved the addition of cauliflower. It was awesome to know your getting some veggies even in this delicious comfort food.
  • Finally, I used really finely cut up bread crumbs that I had. I would next time either follow the recipe and cut up bread in the food processor or use a little thicker ones next time. It was very bready and a little messy. Bread crumbs everywhere isn’t all that fun.

I’ll be back later today with the rest of my baking from the weekend and a recap of my day.

~ Katie :)