Thursday, October 7, 2010

90’s Music Remembered

Last night after watching some shows on our DVR I had pressed stop and guess what was on the TV? FRIENDS!

After watching a few mins of it Matt and I headed to bed but not without a discussion of the 90’s. First some TV then we moved on the music. Don’t worry I’ll do a post soon of some of our favourite tv shows of the 90’s but I had music on my mind so I thought I’d take everyone down a trip of memory lane.

First up a few of the biggest hits from the 90’s. **Disclaimer: Not saying these are all great songs but they were definitely everywhere**

Who can forget:

Although they were some of the biggest hits during this time I thought I’d share 5 more that will forever remind me of my teens.

5. Waterfalls – TLC. This is just one of those songs that was everywhere when I was in High School. One of my friends and I were obsessed with TLC and the Red Light Special Album but this was the most popular. I still know ever word to the rap in the song.

4. I’m Too Sexy – Right Said Fred. Come one everything! You know you loved it. No matter now ridiculous this song actually is everyone was singing it. And we can’t forget the awesome follow-up: Don’t Talk Just Kiss.

3. Tubthumping – Chumbawamba. This was the song that was popular went one of my friends and I travelled to Ontario in grade 12 to visit another friend who had just moved there. I will never forget driving down the road listing to this at full blast in the streets of Sarnia, Ontario.

2. I Swear – All-4-One. This was typical mid-90s music. The boy band, the cheesy lyrics, being over played and school dances and of course the talking in the middle of the song that they (and many other bands) ripped off from the next group.

1. On Bended Knee – Boyz II Men. Boys II Men were huge during the 90s and although this might not have been their biggest hit it had always been my favourite and the song that will forever remind me of grade 9.

I know I didn’t even come close to hitting some of the other big hits of the 90s. Some runners up that almost made the list were: Summer Girls – LFO, Truly Madly Deeply – Savage Garden, Gangsta’s Paradise – Coolio, Sukiyaki – 4PM (if you don’t remember this so go check it out – it will bring a smile to your face remembering), Lighting Crashes – Live, Red Red Wine – UB40 and I’m Gonna Be (500 Miles) – The Proclaimers.

Since this is a healthy living blog I’m not going to leave you without showing you my new favourite breakfast/snack. So simple but so good.

A whole wheat English muffin with pb and powerhouse granola.

October 015

Healthy and delicious.

October 013

I also made a awesome pasta dinner last night. I forgot to take pictures but we’re having leftovers tonight so I’ll take some pictures then and share the recipe later with you.

Also, don’t worry I’ve been doing a little exercise lately too. Heading to yoga later. I’m really loving this studio I’ve joined!

Well that’s all for me today. I hope all the Canadians out there are getting excited for Thanksgiving.

Question of the Day: What is your favourite 90’s song or What song will always remind you of the 90s?

~ Katie :)