Thursday, September 16, 2010

A Powerhouse Day

As you may have figured out by the title of this post today was a crazy, fun-filled, exciting day. Lots to tell you about so please stick around and I’ll explain.

It started with No Bake Oatmeal from Allie @ Live Laugh Eat.

I followed her recipe but used 1/2 a banana as my add-in.

 September 001

Then cooked in on the grill for a couple of mins on each side.

September 002

It made one very large oat cake/pancake thing.

September 003

I topped it with a tbsp of pb and a sprinkle of chia seeds.

September 009

After breakfast I had to take the husband to the airport. He was leaving to go to a conference in Whistler for the next three days.

September 010

After dropping him off I decided to do a little shopping. I hit a couple of home stores to pick some fun items for the house for fall (I will post my purchases tomorrow along with some new house pictures).

While shopping I picked up a non-fat non-whip pumpkin spice latte (I’m obsessed with these).

September 012

I also got cheese and fruit plate from starbucks for lunch.

September 011

This included apples, red grapes, crackers and four types of cheese.

September 015

I enjoyed this in my car while it was raining.

September 013

It was gross out!

 September 014

I didn’t eat too much at lunch since I was hitting up a yoga class in a coupe of hours and didn’t want a heavy belly.

After shopping I was trying a new yoga studio. Bodhi Tree Yoga.

The studio was beautiful and it had both a small and a large studio which was nice so two different classes could practice at the same time. For my first class I went to a Hot Foundation class.

According to the website: Hot Foundation is practiced in a heated room, this invigorating class allows students to explore their balance, strength and flexibility.  Rather than a set series, various postures, methods and techniques are taught through the teachers discretion.

It was a tough and challenging class and I felt strong during most of the practice and I thought the instructor was great. She was very hands on and pushed the class to their limits. My only problem was that I got distracted with about 15 mins left of the practice and just couldn’t focus. I’m not sure what happened but I just couldn’t get into it at the end. I just kept weaving in and out of my thoughts. I’ll be going back tomorrow and hopefully this time I’ll be in yoga mode for the whole practice. Overall, I really loved the class and I’m looking forward to going back tomorrow.

After yoga I made a quick stop at Community Foods – a organic market close to home.

Here’s my purchases:

September 016

I picked up Coconut Oil, Organic Pumpkin, Sunflower Butter, Amy’s California Veggie Burgers, A Tropical Mix of Dried Fruit (these contain dried pineapple, mango, banana and papaya), Rolled Oats, Some Chocolate Chip Banana Bread and a stash of Cliff and Luna Bars. I also picked up some sweetened coconut and ground cinnamon at the Co-op across the street.

When I got home I made supper. It included Amy’s Veggie Burger with a little mozza and some spinach on a whole wheat bun.

September 019

And I served it with some parsnip fries.

September 018

With some ketchup.

September 020

This was an awesome dinner. I’ve never had a veggie burger before but I loved it. I’ll definitely get getting these in the future.

After dinner I decided to make some healthy treats. Some of powerhouse granola from Angela and some of my favourite granola bars.

First Powerhouse Granola

In the mix:

  • sliced almonds
  • flaxmeal
  • chia seeds
  • sunflower seeds
  • unsweetened coconut
  • pumpkin seeds
  • pumpkin pie spice
  • oats
  • chocolate chips
  • maple syrup
  • coconut oil

September 021

I followed Angela’s recipe pretty close but I made a few changes. I only used about half the amount of almonds, I didn’t use any salt, I used flaxmeal instead of flaxseeds, no sesame seeds, dried cranberries or dried apricots, I used about twice as much as pumpkin spice and finally I used chocolate chips instead of cacao nips.

After cooking in the the oven for 20 mins (stirring once) at 400 degrees.

September 023

The only changes I would make would be I don’t think the chocolate chips were needed and I think it was in the oven for about 5 mins too long. It was a little crispy on the edges. But overall, it is delicious. I’m so excited to eat it.

September 022

After making some granola I also made some of my favourite granola bars.

September 024

I used the original recipe but also added a scoop of protein power to them to make them protein bars as well. Their still in the freezer but I’ll let you know tomorrow how they are.

Well this post has been long enough but I’ll be back tomorrow with at least one post (if not two – what else is a girl to do when her husband is away :P)

~ Katie :)