Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Different Kind of Oatmeal

I hope everyone enjoyed my Calgary trip posts. If you missed them on the weekend you can check them out here:

Since getting back on Monday morning not to much has been going on. I took two days off to try to get my sleeping pattern back in order and get back in the right time zones. Since I only got about 3 hours of sleep on the plane Sunday overnight most of Monday was spent catching up on sleep and starting to feel better. Yesterday was a day of rest and relaxation.

Over the past two days my food was a little of this…

June 054

Subway!

And a lot of of this…

June 053

Toasted whole wheat english muffin with spinach, mozza and turkey.

June 062

With veggies and  the new vegetable hummus I had picked up just before we left.

June 059

As you might be able to tell we were lacking in groceries so I was eating whatever I could find in the fridge. It became very repetitive over the two days.

Today is different. I’m feeling rested and ready to tackle the summer!

My morning started off getting up early, driving Matt to work and then heading to the gym.

Pre-gym fuel included a piece of mozza and a Kashi bar (I promise I’m heading to the grocery store later).

June 005

Today at the gym I decided to focus on cardio. It’s been a while so I just wanted to get back into it and I will start with weights at the beginning of next week.

Today’s workout:

  1. 20 min run on the treadmill at 5.2
  2. 15 mins on the stairmaster to work those butt muscles
  3. Back on the treadmill for some interval training for 10 mins. My intervals looked like this:
    • Run 1 min @ 6.8, walk 1 min
    • Run 1 min @ 6.9, walk 1 min
    • Run 1 min @ 7.0, walk 1 min
    • Run 45 sec @ 7.2, walk 1.25 mins
    • Run 30 sec @ 7.7, walk 1.5 mins

Overall, it was super hard and sweaty workout and I ended up burning about 490 calories in about 45 mins. It felt great to get back to the gym and I’m looking forward to a summer of some hard core workouts.

When I got home I had a quick glass of chocolate milk then hopped in the shower. Afterwards it was time for breakfast. I had spend the afternoon yesterday catching up on blogs and one recipe had caught my eye and I decided to give it a try today.

Heather @ With a Side of Sneakers made Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes for breakfast the other day and I decided to give them a time. I followed her recipe and you can find that one here.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pancakes

  • 1/2 c whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 c rolled oats (she called for old-fashion but I used what I had on hand)
  • 1/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 c UVAB
  • 3 tbsp of Stonyfield Organic Vanilla Yogurt (she called for coconut yogurt but I had just picked the Stonyfield up earlier so I used that)
  • 2 dashes of cinnamon
  • 1 handful of chocolate chips
June 007

First I mixed all the ingredients together in bowl. I found it a little thick so I added about two more tbsp of UVAB.

June 009

Then in a heated pan on medium heat I added 3 large spoonfuls of the mixture.

June 013

I cooked it just like a regular pancake. My only problem was the I forgot to spray the pan with oil so the pancakes stuck a little. They still tasted great they just don’t look very pretty when finished.

June 014

Yummy melted chocolate in the morning.

June 018

They also turned out nice and thick which I liked.

I added just a little Nova Scotia Maple Syrup.

June 019

Who doesn’t love chocolate and maple syrup in the mornings?

June 020

I really enjoyed these. It was very similar to having a bowl of oatmeal in the morning. They were thick, gooey, delicious and very filling. I won’t need lunch for a while now.

Now that I’m on summer vacation I might try to blog twice a day (we’ll see). I don’t want my posts to get too long and boring. I have a yummy shrimp dinner planned for tonight so hopefully I’ll be back later with it.

Enjoy your Wednesday everyone!

~ Katie :)

2 comments:

Nicole said...

mmm I love chocolate chip pancakes. They look so yummy!

Erica Sara said...

These look delicious! Will definitely be trying a gluten free version of them in the coming weeks!