Friday, October 29, 2010

Skipping Breakfast

Yesterday I woke up and did the cardinal sin of all healthy living bloggers…I skipped breakfast. I know! I just wasn’t hungry and even though I know breakfast is the most important meal of the day I skipped it and headed out to run my errands.

So if you remember from my last blog post I mentioned I was going to make a Rachael Ray meal for dinner on Wednesday night. Well I did and it turned out pretty great. It was a spinach and egg noodle casserole.

October 001 

I was even able to accommodate both the husband and I. I followed the recipe exactly for myself and for the husbands I added chicken to his.

I’m not going to post the recipe here but if your interested you should definitely pick up her November issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray.

This issue has lots of Thanksgiving recipes but it also has some great veggie side dishes that can also double as a main dish. Some of the recipes that I’m really looking forward to trying are:

  • Zucchini Caponata
  • Roast Mushrooms and Kale over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
  • Root Vegetable Mac ‘n’ Cheese
  • Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apple and Pecans
  • Cauliflower-Leek Puree
  • Green Alien Ravioli (made with edamame)
  • Mushroom Stuffing

I’d definitely recommend picking up the magazine if you get a chance.

Last night I also made a great recipe. Emily’s recipe that she made for her fall feast. Butternut Squash and Black Bean Chili served in a Pumpkin Bowl.

October 008

I also served it with a whole wheat roll.

October 009

I followed her recipe exactly except I halved it since I was just making it for the husband and I. We both loved it  The pumpkin bowls were definitely a great idea. I loved getting pumpkin with every scoop. It made tons and and we had two servings of leftovers.

The rest of the weekend isn’t going to be too exciting. It’s going to include:

  • Spending the afternoon curled up on the couch watching a movie
  • A little grocery shopping
  • Pizza on naan for dinner tonight
  • Getting the car fixed tomorrow afternoon
  • Having a Halloween night tomorrow with the husband which includes: Rocky Horror, Scared Shrekless, Charlie Brown’s Pumpkin and more
  • Going to visit the the niece and nephew on Halloween to see them all dressed up

Well I’m off to make some lunch and then curl up on the couch.

~ Katie :)