Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Grocery Shopping with Katie

Yesterday wasn’t a good day eating or personally. I was feeling a little sorry for myself (due to the lack of job) and ended up with carb overload. After reading a post by Caitlin discussing the power of positive thinking I decided to give it a try while heading for bed. Just before falling asleep I thought over and over again: tomorrow is going to be a good day, tomorrow is going to be a good day. I woke up this morning and guess what? It worked! Today was awesome.

Breakfast was an egg white omelette topped with mozza and a cinnamon bun that I purchased at a local bakery in my carb induced state yesterday.

September 020

Even Charlie got in on the action.

September 015

Awesomely delicious!

After breakfast spend some time catching up on some of my favourite blogs then I headed out to the grocery store to pick up some things for the week.

September 023

I’ve decided to do a break down of my purchases so you can see how I spend some of my grocery money. See below for a more detailed list.

While grocery shopping I pick up Starbucks.

September 032

Grande, non-fat, no whip pumpkin spice latte.

September 033

I’ve heard complains that people find this just a little two sweet. I think its the whip. If you get it without whip it makes it much better.

After I got home from grocery shopping I was hungry and ready for lunch. I decided to take some Hearty Vegetable Soup out of the freezer. I threw it in the microwave for a minute or so just to soften it up enough to get in a pot then reheated in on the stove.

September 037

Just as good as I remembered it.

September 035

If not better.

September 036

So thick and chunky.

I paired it with a couple of slices of local home made bread from the same bakery.

September 040

After lunch I decided to apply for a job. Not just any job, not even a teaching job but I job that I would love that is in the non-profit sector. I’m not really sure if I even qualified but I spend a good couple of hours re-working my resume and writing a cover letter (its been a while since I’ve written an non-teacher resume and cover letter) and then I hit send - ‘Your message has been sent’ – ACK. I did it! There’s actually a couple of other non-teaching jobs that I’ve been looking into that I might apply for tomorrow. Not going to say anymore then that right now but I’ll definitely let you all know if I hear something.

Grocery Shopping with Katie

I decided to do something different with today’s post. I took a picture of everything I bought at the store today and I thought I’d share just a little of what grocery shopping with me would look like.

Produce

September 024

I’m actually not doing to bad in this department at home. We had my step-brother, his wife and my niece and nephew over for dinner on Sunday night so I picked up tons of produce to make a huge salad so we still have a some left over.

Today I picked up: bananas (time for green smoothies again), two large red peppers to stuff tomorrow night for dinner, brussel sprouts, a zucchini and some parsnips for some roasted veggies.

Breads, Seeds, Etc…

September 025

Quinoa (never tried it but going to use it to stuff the peppers tomorrow night), Scottish Oats (everyone in the blog world loves this so it’s about time I give it a try), pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sliced almonds – I’m planning on making my own granola, plus they are great on salads.

Fridge Items

September 028

Orange juice (the hubby cannot eat breakfast without it), frozen spinach, and shrimp for dinner tonight.

Speciality Items

September 031

Vanilla Extract (I’ve been meaning to get some since we moved here), white kidney beans (for dinner tomorrow evening), pumpkin and pumpkin spice (pumpkin oats and pumpkin spice scones – here I come).

All in all, I purchased all these items for about 50 dollars. No too bad.

Time for dinner (I’ll share with everyone tomorrow) and I hope you enjoyed a journey into my grocery bag.

Question of the Day: What’s in your grocery bad?

~ Katie :)