Tuesday, July 13, 2010

My Growing Love for Cooking

I’m going to apologize in advanced if this post is a little long. I have lots to say and I definitely think should have blogged twice today.

I actually wasn’t sure if I was going to blog at all. I have been in a bad mood most of the day today and when I finally had a moment to myself and was going to blog I just wasn’t in the mood. I sat around, watched some lame tv and just really moppy. Eventually, I got up made dinner and by the time it was done my mood had done a 360.

It’s funny because I’ve really only started cooking in the last few months. Before that it was either BBQ, stir-frys or the husband and I would cook something simple together. Now I’m really enjoying being in the kitchen by myself and cooking. I find there is something extremely satisfying after a meal is done and everyone has enjoyed it.

Last week the husband and I made a decision to not buy anymore take-out before we move since we’ll be eating out for at least week once we leave so I’m really loving trying different recipes to keep myself excited about cooking after long days of packing. It seems to be working.

I keeping with the love of cooking theme I thought I’d start with you the yummy recipe that I made last night for dinner. This is a super easy and quick dinner without a lot of calories. You can find the original recipe on Danica’s site: Lemon Garlic Fettuccine with Broccoli. Mine basically was the same with a few minor changes.

The first change was I added chicken to the recipe. The husband isn’t a fan of pasta without some kind of protein (meat protein) so I added chicken but this would also be very good with shrimp or great on it’s own without the chicken.

Lemon Garlic Pasta with Chicken and Broccoli

  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 1 box of whole wheat pasta
  • 3 cups of broccoli
  • 2.5 tbsp of margarine**
  • 3 cloves of garlic – minced
  • 1 lemon juice and zest + 1 tbsp**
  • 1 tbsp of EVOO
  • 1/2 tbsp of red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup of grated parmesan
  • 1/2 cup of water from cooked pasta
  • Salt and Pepper (optional)

**I added a little more then the original recipe called for since I was adding chicken.

Cook pasta according to directions on the box. When the pasta only has a few mins left add the broccoli to the boiling water. Make sure to remember to keep 1/2 cup of the water when it’s  finished.

July 019

While doing so cook chicken in a little EVOO.

July 018

After chicken is cooked in a separate pan melt butter then add the lemon juice, zest and garlic. Heat until boiling.

July 017

Add the pasta, broccoli and chicken to the lemon sauce. Added the parmesan, red pepper flakes, the 1/2 cup of pasta water (if you think it’s a little dry) and mix together.

July 020 

I served with with a piece of seven grain bread and a little more parmesan on top.

 July 022

This was super easy and was very tasty and made at least 6 servings. We still have tons leftover in the fridge. According to Danica it is approx. 213 calories per serving but with the the chicken I added it estimated it would be about 60 more so about 273 for the pasta. Not bad at all!

Breakfast today started out pretty much the same as the last few days but this time it was half a whole wheat bagel with pb and oj.

July 026

Lunch was leftover pasta but I left out the chicken this time.

July 028

This also re-heated very well.

An afternoon snack consisted of grapes, light laughing cow cheese and some crackers.

July 030

Dinner tonight was another fabulous meal but I want to catch you all up on my packing so I’ll leave that for tomorrow morning.

Packing has been going very well lately. The husband has been working from home the last two days (he goes back to the office tomorrow) so we’ve been really productive and accomplished a lot.

Yesterday we tackled the downstairs. At the beginning of the day the living room looked like this.

July 002

Now it looks like this.

July 009

Empty.

July 008

The dining room has now become our central location for all our packed boxes.

July 003 July 004

The dining room table that is now going back to my dad’s.

July 005

Our Mac that is now in the kitchen for the time being (I enjoy having a computer in the kitchen while cooking – it is very convenient).

July 007

Yesterday we also saw a deer in our pack yard. Since we live in city I always find it strange to see wild animals and wonder how they got there.

July 010

She didn’t seem scared of us at all.

July 014

Today we worked on the bedroom. First we went through out clothes and now we had two garbage bags of clothes that we are going to give away. We also worked on the bedroom which is now pretty much done.

July 048 

I know we have a few boxes in there but they are half empty and we are just saving them to fill with other things.

Empty walls as well.

July 049

Charlie is also enjoying the packing.

July 001

And finding clean packed towels to sleep on.

July 054

I’ll be back in the morning with another yummy dinner recipe.

~ Katie :)

No comments: