Monday, May 17, 2010

Rockin’ the Weekend

So as you can probably tell from the title of the post I rocked my eating this weekend. Lots of healthy yummy meals.

Saturday started out with some scrambled eggs with some cheddar and a piece of oat bran toast.

May 001

Dinner was my sweet and sour meatballs. You can find the recipe here. I followed it exactly except I used red and yellow peppers instead of broccoli. I think it turned out better then the last time. The sauce was thicker and a little tastier. I’d definitely recommend it.

Here are a couple of pictures from dinner:

May 003

May 004

May 007

May 008

May 010

Sunday breakfast was similar to Saturdays. Scrambled eggs with cheddar, and piece of oat bran toast and hash browns (with pepper, thyme and cayenne – I must say I don’t think cayenne doesn’t sit will in my belly. I felt pretty yucky for about and hour or two after breakfast).

May 011

Lunch was a bagel sandwich with smoked turkey, organic spinach and mozza on a whole wheat bagel.

May 013

In the afternoon Matt and I went for a walk and I stopped at booster juice. I got a Citrus Swirl (oranges, strawberries, pineapple, bananas and yogurt) Nom!

May 015

Dinner I made lasagna. This is one of my favourite meals but I hardly ever make it. It’s a lot of work and very calorie dense if you eat too much of it.

While cooking dinner I also finished the rest of my POM Wonderful that I had been drinking. Mange Pomegranate to be exact.

  May 019

My recipe comes from Better Homes New Cookbook. I got this as a wedding shower gift last year.

May 016

Ingredients:

  • 12 ounces of ground beef
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 can of pasta sauce (I use Ragu – you can also make the sauce from scratch but I wanted to make the quicker version)
  • 9 dried lasanga noodles
  • 1 egg
  • 1 container of low fat ricotta cheese (I use the Superstores blue menu kind – awesome nutritional info)
  • 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 cup of shredded mozza

First chop the garlic and a cook it up in a tbsp of olive oil, when it is cooked add the ground beef and cook it. When finished add the pasta sauce. During this time boil the water and add the noodles.

May 020

In a separate bowl beat the egg and add the ricotta and parmesan. Mix together.

May 017

Once all this is done start layering in the Pyrex dish. I start with a small amount of sauce then add three noodles.

May 021

Then a layer of the ricotta mix and a layer of mozza.

May 022

Layer of sauce.

May 023

Continue for three layers and top the remaining amount of mozza and a little extra parmesan.

May 024

Cook at 375 for 40 mins.

May 027

For some reason this was left in the oven for about 5 mins too long but dinner was still great.

For dinner I had a small piece of lasagna…

May 028

And a piece of whole wheat garlic bread with cheese…

May 029

My evening snack was a huge bowl of fruit that I shared with the husband. In the bowl is grapes, banana, blueberries and pineapple.

May 030

Today I had an awesome snack when I got home from work of half a bagel with some white chocolate wonderful pb and 1/2 and banana.

May 031

Dinner started with a salad.

In the salad spinner: organic spinach, carrots, cucumbers, red peppers, yellow peppers and baby tomatoes.

May 032

Salad topped with dried cranberries and lemon juice…

May 033

Left over lasagna…

May 034

And included a piece of whole wheat garlic bread with cheese.

All together…

May 035

Another yummy dinner.

After dinner I hit up yoga with Jaime. It was a much needed class and my body was craving the stretch and workout.

Sorry for the crazy long post. Thanks for bearing with me.

~ Katie :)

2 comments:

Janna said...

How about you come make me some dinner? The food looks GREAT!

Glad you got a good stretch!

Have a great week!

Nicole said...

Great job with all your eats for the weekend, you def rocked them! That lasagna looks amazing too, good job!