Monday, March 15, 2010

Leftovers are Yummy

First Monday of Daylight savings. Am I ever glad I was off today. I had set the alarm to get up at 8:30 to hit the gym and didn’t get my butt out of bed until about 9:40. By the time I made my way downstairs Matt had been up for an hour (he took vacation this week so we could be off together) and cleaned the entire kitchen – Ain’t he sweet.

I was hungry as soon as I got downstairs and I knew I wanted something with some good protein because I was planning on hitting the gym right afterwards.

I’m out a peanut butter and oats (a trip to the store is in order very soon) so I grabbed some greek yogurt and added some granola, chia seeds and 1/2 a banana. I love greek yogurt for breakfast.

March 001

Afterwards I hit the gym.  I knew I was going to go for a walk after lunch with Matt so I didn’t want to do too much cardio so I hopped on the treadmill and did a short 10 min run to warm up. I was able to run 1.5 km in that time and felt pretty good about it (I’m not a runner but I would love to be one someday).

Then I wanted to do some weights. I have been neglecting weights for a while now. Back in January Gina did a Winter Shape Up Challenge where she posted a new workout each week for six weeks. I started doing week 1 a long time ago and then got off the weight bandwagon and I knew it was time to get back on. So week 2 of the Winter Shape Up it was.

I did change a few exercises (which are marked with an *) since I didn’t want to do anymore cardio. Here’s what my workout looked like:

Overhead Press 10 reps 16lbs
Stationary Lunges 10 reps per leg 20lbs
Wall Pushups 15 reps  
Plank 20 secs  
Saxon Side Bend * 10 reps per side 10lbs
Bicep Curls 12 reps 16lbs
Medicine Ball Reverse Crunch 12 reps 12lbs
Reverse Plank 20 secs  
V-Glutes * 12 reps  

I forgot how great it felt to do weights again. I’m defiantly going to start doing this 3 times a week and finish off her challenge.

When I got home I was starving so lunch looked very similar to last nights snack: roasted garlic hummus, multi-grain Tostitos, cucumber, green pepper, red pepper, greek yogurt for dipping and a green smoothie. Matt’s lunch was very similar but multi-grain crackers and cheese instead of hummus and tostitos and no green smoothie (I will convert him sometime soon).

Green Smoothie: other 1/2 of my banana from breakfast, 2 tsp of flaxmeal, 2 large handfuls of spinach, 1 cup of UVAB and a few ice cubes.

I love green smoothies. They give me so much energy.

March 002 March 003

His and Her lunches :P

After lunch we couldn’t pass up the beautiful weather so we put on our walking shoes and went for a 4 km walk. It was so nice out that even with the little breeze it felt great.

After the walk I pulled out one of my granola bars I made yesterday – check out the recipe here. So good. I also had the last cookie from the box my friend made me a few days ago – I think I actually only consumed about six so I feel pretty proud about that.

March 010

Dinner was leftover cheesy pasta from last night with some broccoli. I wanted to get some veggies in so I cooked a ton of broccoli added a little cheese and it was a great quick supper.

March 014March 016

I wanted something sweet after dinner so I had some Liberte Coconut Yogurt with a little bit of extra coconut added in and some crushed up mini eggs. It was good but I think it could have used a little more crunch. Tomorrow evening I think I might add some granola (I only used half of a small bag of mini eggs so I still have some left for tomorrow).

March 018

Overall pretty good day of food. I found I was very hungry all day. I’m not sure if it was the weights or just me being snacky. I tried to hold off all day by drinking lots of water but as I’m blogging I’m having a small bowl of pasta (unpictured). I’m feeling better so I’m hoping it’s the weights. I guess I’ll see over the next few days.

I also want to thank everyone so much for reading and commenting on my blog. I’m feeling the bloggy love already. Thanks guys :)

~Katie :)

I’m going to end this post with a couple of great giveaways you guys should check out:

Lynn at Life, Health, Fitness is giving away some yummy Tropicana Orange Juice. Check it out here: http://lifehealthfit.blogspot.com/2010/03/tropicana-essentials-review-giveaway.html

Jess at Dairy Free Betty is giving away some Coconut Peanut Butter. Sounds amazing. Check it out here: http://www.dairyfreebetty.com/2010/03/share-goodies-giveaway-alert.html

4 comments:

Unknown said...

yay!! thanks girl
you are totally a natural born blogger!!

Anonymous said...

Was a gorgeous day here in Hali yesterday, so envious that you were able to be out enjoying the sunshine!

I get really hungry if I'm not getting the right combo of protein + carbs. Maybe trying getting in a bit more protein?

Jessica is right, you're totally a natural blogger. :)

hrclark said...

So good that your hunny could take the week of to be off with you!

I did the same thing for mine!

Lynn said...

I look forward to your blog! Great hubby who pitches in <33 Mine is the same. We are lucky women XO