Monday, January 3, 2011

Blogging: Why I Left and Why I’m Back

First and for most I want to wish everyone a (late) Very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Why I Left

As many of you may have noticed I haven’t been blogging lately. This hasn’t just been because it was the holiday season and I was too busy to blog but instead I made a conscious decision to take a break from blogging for a while.

As much as I love blogging and the blogging community I felt that I had become too wrapped up in the the blogging world. I think it all started with the Marie Claire Article. I actually had nothing to do with specific bloggers but it just got me thinking about blogging and how obsessive I had become with food. I was constantly worrying about taking pictures of my food before I ate, wondering if that was exciting enough to post on the blog, comparing my eating habits with others in the blogging community and just over all constantly worrying about my food/what my next meal would be.

I had to take a break.

Why I’m Back

To be honest I didn’t think I wanted to come back to blogging. When the husband mentioned it about two weeks ago I told him I just didn’t want to obsess about food any more. He said that I should just enjoy blogging with out worrying about what others thought of me and he also though it was a great way for me to identify with a community and help me stay of track.

After thinking about it for a while I decided the new year was a great time to come back. It will help me get a fresh start while getting back into the swing of things. I’m now excited to be blogging again. The husband and I have made some great healthy changes (look out for my post later on today with my goals for 2011) that I can’t wait to share with everyone and I’m excited about getting involved with the community again.

I have decided to make some changes to my blog/the way I blog. They are

1. I’ve made a decision not to be overly obsessed with reading every healthy living blog out there. I have a few favourites that I’ve still been reading over the last few months even if I haven’t been blogging myself. I will continue to read healthy living blogs (and a few of my other favourites) but I’m not going to feel guilty if I don’t read every post.

2. I’m going to try to work on commenting more on other blogs. Although I know I can’t read every blog I’m not good at commenting on the ones I do read. I usually read in my google reader and never comment. I’m going to work on quality not quantity and to comment whenever possible.

3. This is my blog and I’m going to post what I want to post. I think I was so worried about posting new and interesting things that I lost sight of why I started this blog to begin with.

Finally…

4. I’m not setting any expectations for myself, like: I will post twice a day. I think I should be able to post at least once a day (my new schedule seems to lend itself to that) but if I miss a day I’m not going to feel guilty and feel that I need to make that up. This blog is going to be for me and as much as I love my readers I need to do what is best for me.

I’m hoping with these changes I should be able to get back into a regular blogging routine and get back on track with a healthy lifestyle.

I do have some great goals for 2011 and I’m looking forward to sharing them later on today but first I must head out and pick up some kitty food for my fur baby and a quick trip to the grocery store for some almond milk.

~ Katie :)