Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Men Vs. Women – Food Choices

So this is not the blog post I was planning on writing but after a conversation with the husband last night I decided that this topic is what needs to be discussed.

First, I won’t forget to tell you all about my first teacher experience here in Calgary. I subbed at a private school today and it was great.

When I woke up this morning I wasn’t feeling the teaching vibe. Maybe it was the fact that I’ve been able to sleep in for the past 4 months or maybe it was that I’m use to doing things on my own schedule but I just didn’t want to get out of bed.

But after an hour or so in the classroom I got my groove back and was loving it. It was so nice to be back out there interacting with children, other teachers and staff. Anyways, I only had that one day booked but I can’t wait to get another teacher call soon.

Ok, back to the topic of discussion today: Men Vs. Women – Food Choices.

_41305455_genderbbc

(Source)

This probably isn’t completely fair because I know this isn’t really an men/women issue but unfortunately in my household it is.

Although I haven’t come out to say it on the blog yet I’ve been eating a lot of vegetarian meals lately. I haven’t completely gone veg but I’d say 90% of my meals have been and it has been a conscious decision on my part. Unfortunately it is causing some disagreements with the husband.

food

(Source)

These are the two main issues we’ve been discussing:

  1. The husband doesn’t necessarily feel that vegetarians are healthier then meat-eaters. I agree (being a vegetarian doesn’t necessarily mean you are healthier then a meat-eater – one is not better then the other – I feel that since I started eating more veg meals I’ve been eating better and feel just feel better overall) with him on this point I think that he feels that I am not getting enough protein and other vitamins that meat provides. I know he is just worried about me but I’m just not sure how to convince him that I’m watching what I eat and definitely getting enough of all the vitamins and protein that I need.
  2. We are having issues with two different meals. They are actually not two different meals but I usually will add chicken to his meal (although sometimes he will eat some of the vegetarian meals that I cook but he likes to eat meat at least 4-5 times a week for dinner). I guess the problem is that it’s getting more and more difficult to find meals that will please both of us. In his words yesterday, “you can’t just add chicken to meal and make it ok. It doesn’t necessarily taste good”. 

So here is where I’m asking for your help. How do you and your significant other deal with different eating habits? Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

~ Katie :)