Saturday, October 16, 2010

And I Chose…

First I want to thank everyone for their awesome cookbook suggestions. After I wrote yesterdays post and made a call out to twitter I got some great suggestions for vegetarian cookbooks.

Here are some of the books recommended:

  • Supernatural Cooking
  • Any of the Moosewood Cookbooks
  • Vegan on the Cheap
  • Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone
  • Rebar Cookbook
  • Garden of Vegan

After hitting up two chapters stores, one 25% off coupon later and browsing tons of cookbooks I left with…

veggie cookbook

(Source)

Thanks so much to Robyn for this suggestion. I will admit that this book was expensive (about $50) but with the 25% off coupon and my irewards card of another 10% off I decided to splurge and get it. What I love about this book is that it doesn’t just list recipes but each section (eg. beans, vegetables, soups, casseroles, stir fries) goes into an explanation about the section.

For example: Winter Squash and Pumpkin – This has sections on

  • Types of Squash
  • What to Look For
  • How to Store
  • How to Use
  • Special Handling
  • Quality

Then it is followed by recipes using Squash and Pumpkins. In total the book is over 700 pages in length and has hundreds and hundreds of recipes. I will definitely have lots of yummy recipes to keep me busy for a while.

Thanks again to everyone for their lovely suggestions. I can’t wait to pick up a Moosewood Cookbook as well. I was debating between both but ended up with my choice because of the extra 25% coupon. It could only be used on a purchase of $35 dollars or more so I decided to take advantage and pick up the more expensive book.

Tonight we are celebrating Matt’s birthday so I’m making a simple pasta recipe (which is what he asked for) but I’m sure I’ll have some exciting new dishes to share with you soon.

~ Katie :)