Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Return of Yoga

No blogging yesterday but I did have lots yummy eats and of course “The Return of Yoga”.

I woke up a little late yesterday so I didn’t want too much for breakfast since I was meeting the husband for an early lunch. While getting ready I had a piece of ancient grain toast topped with a slice of laughing cow cheese.

I was heading downtown to meet Matt for an early lunch but ended up arriving a little earlier then expected so I spent some time wondering around and looking in a few shops. I haven’t spend too much time in downtown since arriving in Calgary. I’ve driven down a few times to pick up Matt but not walking around. It was nice to get out and see some places.

After I met up with Matt for lunch we headed to the food court near his building. I wanted something relatively healthy in the mass of fast food joints so I choose Extreme Pita. I went with a grilled chicken pita with lettuce, cucumber, pineapple and cheese. It was delicious! I also got a drink from Jugo Juice. I went with Summer Strawberry. This has strawberries, peaches, apple juice and cranberry juice. All in all, it was a healthy, tasty lunch for a food court lunch.

After Matt headed back to work I got in the car and did a little exploring of the city. It was fun to see different parts of the city that I haven’t seen before. Then I headed home to get ready for yoga.

Since moving to Calgary I haven’t done any yoga. There are so yoga studios here that I want to try. Most of them offer an introductory week offer to try the studio out. First up: Try-Yoga Calgary.

According to their website: Try-Yoga Calgary is a hot yoga studio that offers hot yoga, yoga-core, advanced yoga, karma classes, family yoga, pre and post natal yoga and much more.

After browsing their website I found out that they have both hot and regular yoga and many other classes as well. They also offer great rates and a great introductory offer of two week of unlimited yoga for 30 dollars. They are also located 5 mins from my place.

My first class was going to be a Tri-Hot class: The beautiful class is practiced in a heated room allowing students to work with their flexibility, strength and balance, while the heat warms the muscles and helps to flush toxins from the body.

The class was awesome! Our instructor pushed us but also gave lots of alternatives to make it easier or more difficult so that no matter what level your at you would be able to participate. The room was also hot but not so hot that you couldn’t actually enjoy your practice. I can’t wait to go back today to try another class.

Before heading to yoga I wanted something light so I snacked on a banana with some dark chocolate dreams pb.

September 001

After yoga I went to pick Matt up from the office. I drank some coconut water while driving.

Once I got home it was time for dinner. Dinner started with a huge salad with lots of veggies: spinach, red, green and yellow peppers, cucumber, carrots, broccoli and snow peas along with some blueberries on top.

September 003

I topped the salad with some chicken and pineapple that I had set to marinate earlier in the day (marinade: soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar and fresh ginger). I cooked the chicken in the oven for 20 mins then topped the salad with a couple of pieces.

September 004

Finally I served some roasted baby potatoes along side it (red, yellow and purple potatoes cooked in the oven for 30 mins with garlic powder, onion salt, rosemary, basil and thyme).

September 006

Served together.

September 005

The salad was huge. I was able to finish mine along with a little of the husbands. I also finished most of the potatoes but just couldn’t finish the chicken.

Job Update: So I was suppose to hear this morning if I got the job I had been worried about during the last post. It’s now 11:35 and I still haven’t heard anything yet so I guess all the stress I was causing myself was for nothing. Now it’s time to wait and move on to the next job and hopefully I’ll hear something soon from one of the other two school boards that I’m still waiting to hear from.

Finally, Happy September 1st Everyone! Can you believe it’s September already? This summer was crazy, moving, job hunting and everything else but I love fall so I’m ready to bring out the sweaters and enjoy the cool crisp air.

~ Katie :)