Friday, September 3, 2010

Must-Try Recipes

Nothing to interesting happened over the past day since my last blog post but I do have some awesome food to share with you all. This post may be a little picture heavy since I took so many food pictures over the past few days.

Breakfast yesterday was something light. I was heading to yoga and didn’t want to go on an empty stomach but also didn’t want something heavy in there either. A bowl of Vanilla Almond Special K cereal it was.

September 010

Served in my Tinkerbell mug.

September 012

Yes, it is true. I love Disney!

After breakfast I headed out for another yoga class at Tri-Yoga Calgary: Tri-Hot Flow. This is a flowing form of yoga that heals, detoxifies and electrifies the body and mind at their deepest levels. This fast paced flowing class will put your mind and body to the test.

It was a pretty good class but I wasn’t a fan of the instructor. When he was talking it was like he was trying to chant but he kept messing up and it threw off my concentration. I just wanted to tell him to stop and talk like a normal person. I think I’m going to have to try another one of these classes with a different instructor before I can make a decision about whether or not I actually enjoyed this class.

After yoga I had to make a quick stop at the Co-op that is across the street. While there I stopped at the salad bar and got a salad for lunch.

September 016

My salad consisted of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, broccoli, carrots, chickpeas, baby tomatoes, cheese and a few strawberries.

September 017

A little random I know, but so delicious!

September 020

Look how big that baby was!

Along with my salad I snacked on the last of my bag of Stacy’s Cinnamon and Sugar Pita Chips.

September 001

There was mostly crumbs left in the bag but still good.

As the afternoon rolled through I realized I was quite snacky. I’m not sure why. I’m not sure if it was the yoga, the lack of water, or just the salad for lunch but I really wanted something sweet.

To cure my sweet tooth I finally tried something I had been reading about on the blog world for a while: yogurt and pb.

I used about 1/2 a cup of vanilla Stoneyfield yogurt with about 2 tbsp of Dark Chocolate Dreams pb and mixed it together really well. Then I topped it with a tbsp of granola and a sprinkle of coconut.

September 005

OMG! So good.

September 006

When I told the husband about this combination he thought I was crazy but I’m telling you. This is a must try treat!!!

Dinner was a recipe that we’ve been making for a while. The husband found it in the Men’s Health book: The Abs Diet.

Salmon Rushdie (makes 4 servings)

  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/4 salt
  • 1/4 ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (flaxmeal)
  • 1 clove of garlic chopped

Mix all the ingredients together and then coat the salmon in it. Place salmon on a baking sheet with foil and cook in the oven at 450F for 9-12 mins.

September 007

I served mine with roasted brussel sprouts.

September 008

And a 1/2 cup of rice.

September 009

This is another must try recipe.

September 010

After dinner treats included a sugar-free popsicle and when that couldn’t cure my sweet tooth I had 1/2 a cup of half the fat Haagen Dazs ice-cream. Overall, not bad considering my sweet tooth all day.

This morning I got up I remembered I had 1/2 a cantaloupe in the fridge. I was very excited. I decided to fill it with some vanilla Stoneyfield yogurt, 1/2 a banana, granola and chia seeds.

September 011

What a fun way to eat breakfast

September 014

No dishes either.

September 015

And of course – healthy and tasty.

September 017

After spending the morning grocery shopping lunch was a pita stuffed with mozza, turkey, apple and spinach. Grilled for 5 mins to melt the cheese.

September 023

Along with sweet potato fries sprinkled with cinnamon and paprika.

September 019

Served with some baby tomatoes.

September 018

I’m not planning on heading downtown to meet the hubby for dinner and walk but I hope everyone has an awesome long weekend and we’ll catch up afterwards.

~ Katie :)