Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Organization Part II

Want to learn 7 interesting facts about me? The Versatile Blogger Award Post.

Dinner last night’s dinner somehow went undocumented. The husband didn’t get home until late from work so by the time we ate I think I just forgot to take a pic. Dinner was simple – Tortellini stuffed with chicken and spinach served with some cheese marinara sauce and a slice of 7 grains bread.

This morning I woke up and made a pretty hard core breakfast in plans of #7daysofgoodlife.

A whole wheat sandwich thin toasted. Half with smeared with pb and the other half with light laughing cow cheese.

August 004 

And a green smoothie.

August 003

It might not look very good but it was tasty. In the blender: 2 handfuls of spinach, 1 banana, 1/2 cup of blueberries, cup of UVAB, 1 tsp of chia seeds and lots of ice.

August 002

So good.

After breakfast I hit the road and headed to the gym for todays Goodlife class: Body Jam.

According to the website:

“Lose yourself in this dance inspired cardio workout. An addictive fusion of the latest dance styles and hottest new sounds. It’s more about fun than breaking a sweat!”

What a fun class! It was basically dancing but with and aerobic feel to it. I was sweating up a storm. I almost felt like I was on So You Think You Can Dance.

This type of class would usually be out of my comfort zone. I’m usually a little self-conscious when it comes to this type of stuff but I really let go and didn’t worry about what anyone else thought of me. I also liked the fact that it wasn’t too busy. There was lots of room to move around and you didn’t have to worry about bumping into anyone. There’s a Body Pump class right before this one and I think that would be a really great combo. I have to say home all day next Tuesday waiting for the cable guy but I might try it the Tuesday after.

After yoga I decided to hit up starbucks for a treat. I haven’t seen too much of some areas of the city so I just chose a random location on the GPS and just went. Big mistake! We haven’t updated the maps yet since we bought the GPS so their a little out of date. I ended up on some dirt road behind a huge logging truck and wasted almost a hour. During this time I stopped at a Good Earth Coffee Shop and picked up a lemon loaf because I was starving.

After that excursion I was hungry and just wanted to go home. Lunch ended up being from Wok Box. I went with a lunch sized Pad Thai with Shrimp.

August 005

It was filled with veggies, noodles and shrimp. It actually looks pretty small but there is tons of food in there. Since I used chop sticks I ate a lot slower then I usually would and this ended up being a good thing. I listened to my belly and only ate about 1/2-3/4 of the box.

I also ended up picking up that starbucks I had been craving. Grande Non-Fat Carmel Latte.

August 007

Organization Part II

If you read yesterdays post I discussed my lack in organization lately. Today I decided to follow the steps that Caitlin discussed in a post on Priorities yesterday and followed the same guidelines that she picked up from the Healthy Living Summit on the weekend.

*Step 1 – Realize that there are 168 hours in the week.  56 of those hours should probably be spent asleep.  In order to maximize our time and schedule in ‘free time,’ we need to be more aware about how we spend our energy.

*Step 2 - List out your priorities.  Some of these priorities are negotiable and some are probably non-negotiable.  Of course, these priorities are different for other people.

Here are my priorities as of right now:

  • Apply for jobs/Find a job for September (even if it just subbing right now)
  • Spend time with the husband (he’s second because I would like to start working as soon as possible and I know I get to see the husband ever evening/weekend)
  • Workout 4-5 times a week (using a variety of workouts)
  • Eating healthy, cooking some interesting healthy meals
  • Online media – keeping in contact with friends, blogging, twitter, etc
  • Reading – blogs and actual books
  • Catching up on some of my favourite tv shows

*Step 3 - Identify which priorities you can downgrade or drop completely.  Also identify new priorities that you would like to focus more on.

I am very close to completing number 1. I’ve seemed to contacted as many private schools as possible and have applied for jobs/subbing in one district. I am just waiting for the last of my transcripts to come in from university and then I can finish my application for the final school board. I’m hoping this process can be done by early next week and then its just waiting time. Waiting to hear from schools is the hardest part but at least I won’t be spending so much time on it anymore.

As for things to focus on. Right now I would like to focus on a few things. I think I have the workouts under control so I’d like to focus a little more on the blogging and getting more involved with the blogging community. I have some really interesting ideas for post so I’d like to spend more time working on them. As well, as much as I read a lot of blogs I’m really bad for commenting and getting involved in the community. I’d like this to change over the next little while.

*Step 4 - Get organized by using a paper calendar or online calendar.  Look for ways to plan ahead so your priorities get accomplished and you don’t feel overwhelmed.

I worked on doing three things to help get my life more organized. First I started using google calendar.

August 008

I added my workouts, any events I have planned and anything else I could schedule into it. I also added a section of blogging at the top (as an all day event) so I could write down what topics I would like to cover for that day. I’m hoping this will work when I start work in September. I think this will really help me get everything accomplished.

Second I started putting my workouts in excel.

August 010

I want to be able to keep track of all the workouts I want to do and the ones I have already done. I also think it will help me realize what I’m doing too much of or what I need to do more of (eg. weights, cardio, yoga, etc).

I am tracking by week and making a new sheet for ever month of the year. I think this way it was be easier to read and go back and evaluate at a later date.

Finally, I added a spreadsheet in excel for what I want to accomplish each week (by day).

August 009

I actually think I’m going to scrap this idea because I think I’m accomplishing the same thing with google calendar and this will just be repeating myself. I’ll end up spending more time organizing my life then actually living it.

Anyways, that’s what I’ve accomplished so far when it comes to organizing. I’ll re-evaluate in a few weeks and see how this is working for me and I’ll keep you all up to date.

Also don’t forget about my new comments section. You acutally have to go into the individual post to leave a comment but now I can reply to you directly so feel free to ask me questions! I love comments.

Are you an organized person? Do you have any ideas or tricks to share?

~ Katie :)