Monday, June 14, 2010

Detox Time

If you read my Wordless Weekend post yesterday you might have seen some of the comments including some like this “good eats, looks like you had a good weekend”. If only that were true…

What you didn’t see in the post were pictures of cheesies, hamburger hamburgers, alcohol and pizza. This along with the ok eating last week has made my belly very unhappy.

After discussing with the husband I have decided to do a little detox – my own version of a detox. Really I guess it’s just going to go back to healthy eating but I am going to limit some things for the next week and a half until our trip to Calgary. I’m not sure what kind of eating that trip will have in store for me so I’m going to be as healthy as possible before I leave.

Over the next week and a half I’m going to limit the following things:

  • Processed Sugars – these are really hard on my belly and I shouldn’t be eating too many of them anyways.
  • Dairy – I have been eating way to much of it lately, especially in the form of yogurt and cheese so I think a break from them for a little while is needed.
  • Coffee – I am really going to try not to have a latte between now and then but really I can’t promise anything.
  • Red Meat – I am going to stick to only lean proteins

Also going to include the following things into my detox:

  • Lean Protein – As mentioned above I’m not going to eat any red meat and stick to boneless skinless chicken, lean turkey and fish.
  • Veggies – And lots of them
  • Fruits – These are a great snack. I’ll stay away from fruits that are high in sugar.

If you have any other ideas of great food in include/stay away from I’d love your input/ideas.

Today I think I did a pretty good job with sticking to my plan.

Breakfast: Organic Orange (a little high in sugar but ok for breakfast i think) and a Kasha Almond Bar

Lunch: Huge container of veggies which included cucumber, red and yellow peppers and carrots along with some hummus and Stacy’s Pita Chips. Dessert: Blueberries.

Snack: Two pieces of Whole Wheat Bread with pb.

June 002

Dinner: I stuck to my plan of lean protein and had salmon.

A healthy version of Maple Glazed Salmon I found here.

I modified it a little (didn’t use as much soy sauce – too salty)

Maple-Glazed Salmon

  • 1 tbsp of Low Sodium Soy Sauce (the recipe called for 2 tbsp)
  • 0.75 tbsp of lemon juice
  • 1/8 – 1/4 cup of Maple Syrup – I used somewhere in between these too amounts
  • 1/2 tsp of dijon mustard

Mix up all ingredients.

 June 003

Coat the salmon in the glaze.

June 005

Cook on 400 for 20 mins.

While the salmon is cooking I made up a salad.

In the ss (salad spinner): organic spinach, carrots, baby tomatos, field cucumber, red and yellow pepper.

June 006

Serve salmon over salad.

June 009

Perfection! This was exactly what my body was craving.

I have to say no belly pains today. Hopefully I can continue for at least another week.

Wish me luck and don’t forget to let me know if you have any other ideas for me detox.

~ Katie :)

2 comments:

Erica Sara said...

Katie, this looks like a great plan and I have a feeling you're going to feel great! When I'm doing a "detox" like this, I like to have specific ideas in mind for snacks so I dont run into any desperate moments. For example, if I'm craving chips or something crunchy, I munch on apple slices or raw sugar snap peas. Some other great meal ideas are raw vegetables soups, like gazpacho. Excited to follow your progress :)

Nicole said...

I am having to do this too, after 4 days of being sick and eating every carb in sight I was craving getting back to healthy eating today. I still need to work on my fruit intake because it was really really high for a couple of months.