Friday, April 16, 2010

Back At It

TGIF


After last nights post I knew I wanted to get back into healthy eating. I also want to thank everyone for the wonderful comments. I know it was only one week of unhealthy eating but I felt like I was getting into a rut and I really appreciate all the sweet and encouraging comments from my wonderful readers.

Breakfast was Greek Yogurt, strawberry yogurt and granola. Snacks: Kashi bar and cheese string. Lunch was apple, carrots and pb, pita chips and yogurt cup (all unpictured). Overall, I don’t have a problem with breakfast and lunch on work days (unless I’m bring unhealthy leftovers). I don’t have time to leave on my lunch breaks so I always need to pack a lunch and I’m pretty picky so it’s usually random healthy snacks.

When Matt and I got home from work I was tired, really didn’t feel like cooking and was craving Hawaiian pizza. I didn’t want to get caught back into that unhealthy trap so I decided to take a nap and hopefully feel more like cooking then. I laid down for about 45 mins and went I got up I felt rejuvenated. I was ready to tackle dinner. Today’s menu: Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatballs. I have been wanting to make these for a while but never got around to it so I knew tonight was the night.

While making dinner I snacked on a cranberry vitamuffin.

 April 015

The recipe is adapted from here: http://www.chicken.mb.ca/recipes/Ground%20Chicken/Everyday%20Delicious/Sweet%20and%20Sour%20Chicken%20Meatballs.php

Sweet and Sour Chicken Meatballs

Meatballs:

  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup of oats
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 Tbsp of fresh ginger root
  • 1 lb extra lean ground chicken

April 017

Sauce:

  • 1/2 cup of orange juice
  • 1 tbsp of fresh ginger root
  • 3 tbsp of ketchup
  • 3 tbsp of rice vinegar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of liquid honey
  • 1/2 cup of water
  • 1 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp sesame oil
  • 2 cups of broccoli (the recipe called for red and green pepper but I was out so I used broccoli instead)
April 019

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat egg. Add remaining meatball ingredients and stir until well mixed. Shape into 16 balls.

April 020

In a pot with a lid, combine all sauce ingredients except broccoli. Add meatballs. Cover and bring sauce to a boil.

April 021

Reduce heat and simmer for 20 mins or until chicken balls are cooked through. Add broccoli and cover for another 5-10 mins.

April 023

Serve over a bed of brown rice.

April 025 April 026

April 028

It was delicious.

I am definitely going to put this in my rotation. It actually wasn’t difficult, it didn’t take too long and I loved the ground chicken instead of ground beef. It was lighter then the beef and no fat. I would recommend trying this.

I didn’t get a workout in today but I might try to do a little yoga later before heading to bed. I have a busy day tomorrow so I’m not sure what time I’ll make it to the gym but that is in the plan for tomorrow.

I’m going to now enjoy a little r&r catching up on a little tv and maybe some reading. I hope everyone has a wonderful Friday night and a great weekend.

~ Katie :)

Giveaway Love:

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Glad you are feeling better about your eating. That dinner looks so good. I always forget about baking meatballs since I come from a family of frying meatballs every Sunday! have a wonderful weekend!

Unknown said...

this recipe sounds great!! :) Might have to give it a go!! I always bomb at sweet and sour stuff for some reason!! :)